Monday, January 5, 2009

Refresh your "8"!

Day 4

Graphic... Visual communication... Commercial Design...

“X” Student: What is GD? After few semesters in college, I still struggling in learning, the worst thing is I still feel that I learn nothing... why?

Mr Martin: Put it this way, we (designers) help our clients to "communicate effectively" with theirs' clients through using “Visual communication platforms” such as TVC, Poster, Banner, Bill board, Prints & etc. In order to do that, we need to have a basic know-how from execution to “Perception Theory”.

“X” students: Wow! That’s sound so deep sir, what should I learn now, I feel that I am not ready yet why???

Mr Martin: Ha! ha! relax...

Ok, the problem is many students fail to link the fundamental principles of design and others GD core subjects together.

These are so commons as many students also fail to form a synergy understanding of Geography, Science, History, Mathematic and Economics together for more holistic understanding.

Subject’s break down taught in colleges or schools should not be view as individual subject, students should form a "hamper" out of it before execute any idea.

By saying these I would like to refresh you guys about the basic 8 principles of design, which are

Unity
Emphasis
Balance
Rhythm
Proportion
Scale
Harmony
Variety

No comments:

Post a Comment